Saturday, July 18, 2009

I guess I won't be Buying Kindle

I am a mix of old and new. I love new technology and gadgets, but I also adore antiques and retro items.

When it comes to books, I'm still old-fashioned. I love them in the form of paper, and I don't think that's going to change any time soon. Still, I really wanted a Kindle - for fun, for traveling and just to try it out.

Kindle is expensive, so I didn't rush out to buy it. Now, it seems, I will be spending my money on something else: Amazon has just done one of the most stupid things ever. It appears that the publisher of 1984 and Animal Farm changed his mind, and didn't want these books on Kindle anymore. Since a few thousand people already bought digital copies of these books for their Kindle, Amazon was faced with a problem.

And how did Amazon solve that problem, do you ask? Simple: they remotely deleted every copy of 1984 and Animal Farm from every Kindle that had them, without the owner's permission. Amazon did give the customers a refund for that deletion, but the severity of this Big Brother act remains. Amazon has simply violated the privacy of each and every customer that bought these books.

The irony doesn't escape me, either. Of all books, 1984, represents best what happens when too much control is given to the wrong people. Amazon has just lost a future Kindle customer. I'll stick to book who won't disappear on me in the middle of the night, thank you very much.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Some books are more equal than others.